Reward for re-use is becoming more common in the UK. At Pret a Manger, you will receive a game-changing 50p discount each time you choose to reuse, which means that with just 18-20 uses, you would have paid for your Ecoffee Cup.
Here’s the current league table of the main high street chains:
|Pret a Manger||Yes||£0.50p|
|Costa Coffee||Yes||£0.25p (Excludes some franchises)|
|Roadchef “Fresh Food Cafe”||Yes||£0.25p|
|Café Nero||Yes||Bonus Stamps|
|Burger King||Yes||No Discount|
Step One: Crush
No matter how you choose to dispose of your cup, the first and most important step is to crush the entire Cup into small (2-3cm) pieces. We suggest you place inside an old pillow case or cotton bag and the jump on it over and over until it has broken down (be careful as sometimes these pieces can be sharp.)
Step Two: Dispose
Bury with organic waste
If you have an active household compost heap, soak the broken pieces in boiling water for 15-20 minutes and then bury deep with other organic matter while still hot. (Please be careful while doing this!) The cup will decompose over 24 – 36 months, depending on environmental conditions, and leaves 3-5% residual material.
Mix with conventional waste
After much research, we’ve realised that possibly the best way for most people to dispose of their crushed cup is with conventional waste. Whilst that may sound counter-intuitive, if it is does end up in landfill, it will degrade over time in a warm, moist environment. We hope you agree that 3-5% residual material is better than 100% of plastic that will never biodegrade.
Closing the loop with Terracycle.
If you would like to recycle or dispose of any element of our product, simply return them in suitable packaging to us free of charge (UK only at this stage) for professional recycling or repurposing in conjunction with Terracycle. With Cups, please crush into small 2-3cm pieces and wrap in suitable material to avoid any sharp pieces.
Please send to:
FREEPOST – ECOFFEE CUP
(all in capital letters)
The silicone components of our product should last for a long time and can be transferred to a new Ecoffee Cup at any time. Dishwasher safe and chemically inert, silicone will never emit smell or flavour.
They are recyclable with curb side collection where facilities exist (Recycle Code 7), however, we acknowledge that these facilities aren’t as plentiful as we would like, especially in the UK.
We always try and keep our packaging to an absolute minimum. However, our boxes play an important in ensuring that your Ecoffee Cup gets to you clean, dust-free and in one piece. They are made with FSC kraft card from responsible sources and are fully recyclable.
While we try and minimise and re-use wherever we can, packaging is vital to ensuring our product makes it through the supply chain unscathed; because with breakages comes waste! We do, however, try and avoid single-use plastics, individual shrink wrapping, over-sized boxes and unnecessary padding material. We have been known to re-use bubble-wrap and boxes to avoid them going to waste, and we encourage our customers to do the same.
The one area where we know we need to improve is with online orders fulfilled by 3rd parties such as Amazon or Amazon Marketplace. Once our products are fulfilled by others who on-sell them, we do lose a bit of control. We are introducing new policies to try and deal with these issues, but we admit that we still have got a lot of room for improvement.
It may come as a surprise to many, but much of New China is not just faceless factories; don’t forget that our products are made by humans too! In fact, unlike injection moulded plastic or commercially created glass, our manufacturing is quite labour intensive, requiring a lot of skilled people to achieve the high standards we require. And our new production facility is a burgeoning business with engaged and valued workers.
Opened in April 2017, our production facility is clean, climate controlled and with a focus on health and safety; it has new and valid SEDEX (Supplier Ethical Data Exchange) and BSCI (Business Social Compliance Initiative) audits in place which means workers are employed in accordance with international working conditions, including pay rates. There’s still some work to do on certain aspects of our production but the for the most part we couldn’t be happier.
All this helps us ensure we comply with the Transparency in Supply Chain Provisions UK Modern Slavery Act 2015, and pursuant to Section 54, we provide the following statement:
First Person Limited through its supply chain respects human rights and workplace rights and remains committed to conducting its business in a manner that protects these rights, including (but not limited to) prohibiting and opposing modern slavery, servitude, forced labour and human trafficking.
- Top shelf dishwasher recommended
- Avoid dishwasher in areas of hard water
- Tannin from tea may stain inside of cup
- TIP: Use paste of baking soda or lemon juice to remove stains. Citrus cleaner is also good.
1. The Cup
- The Cup itself should never emit or absorb avour
- It should be washed regularly, preferably top-shelf dishwasher
2. The Silicone Components
- Silicone is a chemically inert material, which means it will NEVER EMIT odour or flavour.
- However, it can ABSORB odour and/or flavour from things in its proximity
- We recommended dishwasher cleaning on a daily basis
- Advice: do not wash or store silicone components with other items that emit odour or flavour, such as plastics or metals. Do not wash or clean with chemicals or solvents.
- Waste material from chopstick manufacturing
- From government certified, sustainably-managed native plantations in central China. (Anji County, Zhejiang province, NW China)
- Traceable source, personally inspected by company
- 600,000 hectare forest that has been harvested for many hundreds of years
- Bamboo is the native forest, not replacing native forest
- Our bamboo species is Phyllostachys Pubescens, native to the region
- There are no chemicals used in processing of bamboo. Unlike the refining process used for bamboo fabric, bamboo required for our product is not treated with chemical